It’s been three years since my darling hubby bought the family Volkswagen Kombi aka Bella Bus. Yes you guessed it, it’s part inspiration for the name of this blog. We’ll get to the “Penelope” component another day, shall we?
Since she’s three years old this month and possibly feeling a little under-appreciated, I thought I’d write Bella an ode, a Five things I love about you kind of vibe.
1. I love how you embrace being filled to the brim with giggly girls on their way to a social or to the mall. I love how I get to be part of the banter, the sing-along to “girls just wanna have fun” (Miley’s version, of course) and how I get to be the shoulder to lean on. I love how you create the perfect environment to give advice on boys, because heaven knows, if they’re not getting it from me then where else are they picking it up?
2. I love how you’re also cool enough to carry muddy, testosterone-charged boys from sports matches and how you carry us safely all over the country to support our kids and the schools we so love. I love how we dissect the game afterwards while lounging on your comfy seats, how we discuss tackles, goals and bad ref decisions. I love how you encourage us to laugh at our mistakes, and that maybe next weekend you’ll hear how we finally scored that goal.
3. I love that you’re so roomy, allowing the girls to get changed on the drive between school and ballet class. And, oh! How many hairpins have been dropped and left in your carpeted floors? You’ve heard about every sore toe, worn-through ballet shoe and successful pirouette. I love how you’re just ok with all of that.
4. I love how you gracefully tolerate Labrador hair and beach sand embedded in your carpets for days – and don’t get me started on the surf wax! Boogie boards, wetsuits, skateboards and the odd bicycle – you welcome them all with open doors.
5. I love how there is an unspoken tribe of Kombi drivers out there. I love how there is a “smile ‘n wave” that exists between us when we pass each other on the roads, almost like our own three finger salute a la Katniss Everdeen. It’s like a symbolic sign of respect to all moms and dads carrying tons of kids around all day – I salute you!
Thank you, Bella, for thousands of kilometers of safe travels and fun family times! I don’t know how we’d do it without you.
Do you have a special ‘something’ that is an integral part of your family? I’d love to hear from you in the comments section below 🙂